- 1959 - Ricky Pierce who made 75 consecutive free throws in 1991 falling 3 short of Calvin Murphy's 1981 record is born in Dallas, Texas.
- 1989 - Rapper, High School star and future USC prospect, Percy Romeo Miller, aka Lil' Romeo, is born in New Orleans, Louisiana.
- 1990 - Yugoslavia easily defeats the Soviet Union, 92-75, in the gold medal game at the FIBA World Championship.
- 1992 - Charles "Stretch" Murphy, Hall of Fame center who starred at Purdue University, alongside John Wooden, dies at age 85.
- 1996 The Phoenix Suns trade One of the "NBA's 50 Greatest Players" Charles Barkley, and a 1999 second round Draft pick to the Houston Rockets for 4 players Robert Horry, Sam Cassell, Chucky Brown, and Mark Bryant teaming up Barkley with 50 Greatest Players Hakeem Olajuwon and Clyde Drexler.
- 1999 - Houston Comets star Kim Perrot loses her battle with cancer. Perrot would be the first active WNBA player ever to die. Dedicating their season to her memory, the Comets would go on to win their third consecutive WNBA Championship. The WNBA's sportsmanship award is named in Perrot's honor.