- 1937 - Hall of Fame player Joan Crawford, who won a gold medal in the 1957 FIBA World Championship for Women, is born in Fort Smith, Arkansas.
- 1951 - The Harlem Globetrotters set a basketball attendance record, playing before 75,052 fans at Berlin's Olympic Stadium during their world tour.
- 1959 - Hall of Fame player Denise Curry, who starred on the U.S. Olympic team that won the gold medal at the 1984 Olympics, is born in Ft. Benton, Montana.
- 1963 - Terry Catledge, best known as the former Orlando Magic player who refused to give up his jersey number 33 to accommodate rookie Shaquille O'Neal, is born in Houston, Mississippi.
- 1969 - Right: One year after the American Basketball Association Minnesota Pipers moved from Pittsburgh to Minnesota they return to Pittsburgh. They are again the Pittsburgh Pipers.