- 1892 - Hall of Fame college coach Sam Barry, who won 365 games with three colleges, is born in Aberdeen, South Dakota.
- 1919 - Passaic (New Jersey) High School begins a winning streak that would stretch for 159 games, for over five years.
- 1948 - The National Basketball League's Detroit Vagabond Kings fold. To replace them, the NBL calls on the famous New York Rens to replace them. They become the Dayton Rens, the first all-black team in a virtually all-white league.
- 1971 - Nikki McCray (right), the world-class defender who played in three WNBA All-Star games, is born in Collierville, Tennessee.
- 1991 - The Cleveland Cavaliers demolish the Miami Heat, 148-80. The 68-point margin is the largest ever recorded in an NBA game.
- 1996 - Atlanta sets an NBA record by making 19 three-point field goals (in 27 attempts) during a 109-73 victory at Dallas. Mookie Blaylock leads the Hawks’ barrage from downtown, hitting 7-of-10 attempts.
- 2004 - The Toronto Raptors trade superstar Vince Carter (right) to the New Jersey Nets for Aaron Williams, Eric Williams, Alonzo Mourning and two-first round draft picks.
- 2008 - Chris Paul stole an attempted pass from Tony Parker setting the new record for consecutive games with a steal at 106 consecutive games, breaking the old record previously held by Alvin Robertson. Paul's Hornets beat the Spurs, 90-83.