- 1912 - Hall of Fame coach Margaret Wade, who won three consecutive national championships at Delta State University, is born in McCool, Mississippi.
- 1936 - Hank Luisetti (right) scorches the nets for 15 points to lead Stanford to a 44-31 win over powerhouse Long Island University at Madison Square Garden, ending LIU's 43-game winning streak. Luisetti's running, one-hand shot, called a "jumper," was revolutionary to fans in the East. Nat Holman declared that it "wasn't basketball." Within a few years, the shot became standard in basketball.
- 1961 - Wilt Chamberlain of the Philadelphia Warriors scores 42 points in a 116-111 loss to Boston, the 14th straight game in which he scores at least 40 points, an NBA record.
- 1975 - The NBA conducts a special draft of five American Basketball Association players who had never been eligible for an NBA draft because their college classes had not yet graduated.
- 1990 - Scott Skiles of the Magic sets an NBA single-game assist record with 30 as Orlando defeated the Denver Nuggets 155-116.
- 1994 - Jeff Hornacek of the Utah Jazz begins a streak that ties an NBA record. He makes 11 consecutive three-pointers without a miss. The streak ended January 11, 1995.