- 1894 - Fritz Pollard, better known for his football prowess, but a star basketball player and team organizer as well, is born in Chicago, Illinois.
- 1910 - The North Carolina Tar Heels (above) beat Virginia Christian, 42-21, in UNC's first varsity basketball game. The Tar Heels have won nearly 2,000 more games since.
- 1973 - Right: The UCLA Bruins, led by Bill Walton, beat Notre Dame, 82-63, for their 61st consecutive victory, breaking the NCAA Division I men's record set in 1956 by the University of San Francisco, led by Bill Russell and K.C. Jones.
- 1975 - The NBA establishes the Walter Kennedy Community Service Award. Wes Unseld of the Washington Bullets is the first honoree.
- 1995 - The Arison family gained control of the Miami Heat after purchasing the interests of former NBA star Billy Cunningham and Lewis Schaffel for $60 million.