- 1959 - Brazil defeats Chile, 73-49, to clinch the gold medal at the FIBA World Championship. The USA takes the silver medal in the round-robin tournament.
- 1970 - "Pistol Pete" Maravich (right) scores 53 points as his LSU Tigers beat Ole' Miss, 109-86. Maravich thus surpasses Oscar Robertson's 2,973 points to become the record-holder for NCAA Division I men's career scoring. Maravich ends his collegiate career with a total of 3,667 points.
- 1989 - Loyola Marymount University beats U.S. International College, 181-150, setting NCAA Division I men's records for most points by one team and highest combined score.
- 1991 - 5'10" Michael Adams of the Denver Nuggets becomes shortest NBA player to tally a triple-double.
- 1993 - McDonald's commercial featuring Michael Jordan and Larry Bird playing a game of H-O-R-S-E debuts during the Super Bowl.