- 1956 - The Saint Joseph’s University Hawk mascot makes his debut in a Philadelphia Big 5 game against La Salle. He has never stopped flapping his wings since.
- 1975 - The New Orleans Jazz score just 20 points in the first half against Seattle, setting a new NBA record for fewest points in the first half of a game. The record stood for nearly 25 years until the Los Angeles Clippers score 19 points in the first half against the Los Angeles Lakers on December 14, 1999.
- 1984 - Adrian Dantley ties Wilt Chamberlain’s record for most free throws made in one game by converting 28 free throws (in 29 attempts) in Utah’s 116-111 victory over Houston at Las Vegas.
- 1986 - Above: Center David Robinson of Navy sets an NCAA Division I record by blocking 14 shots, as his team beat North Carolina-Wilmington, 76-61.
- 2001 - Michael Jordan of the Washington Wizards hoists the second of two free throws with 5:28 remaining in the second quarter of an 89-83 victory against Chicago, to become the fourth player in NBA history to score 30,000 career points.
- 2001 - The NBA names Fayetteville, North Carolina as the first city to be granted a franchise in the National Basketball Development League (now called the NBA Development League), the NBA’s new minor league.