- 1896 - Hall of Famer Tom Barlow, a 6'1" giant who was one of a handful of gentiles to play for the Eddie Gottlieb's Philadelphia SPHAs, is born in Trenton, New Jersey.
- 1922 - Hall of Famer Jim Pollard is born in Oakland, California. As a Minneapolis Laker he played seven seasons and went to four All-Star games.
- 1925 - Hall of Famer Borislav Stanković, who played and coached at the highest levels in Europe and went on to become a powerful figure in international basketball, is born in Bihać, Yugoslavia.
- 1968 - A sad day in Philadelphia: the Sixers trade Wilt Chamberlain to the Los Angeles Lakers for Darrall Imhoff, Archie Clark and Jerry Chambers plus an undisclosed amount of cash.
- 2005 - Sheryl Swoopes (right) collects 15 points, four rebounds and two assists as the Western Conference wins its sixth straight WNBA All-Star Game with a 122-99 victory over the Eastern Conference. The Houston Comets star is named MVP.
- 2006 - Andrea Bargnani of the Toronto Raptors, the top pick in the 2006 NBA Draft, becomes the first player ever to foul out of an NBA Summer League game, picking up ten personals in a game against the Sacramento Kings team.