- 1939 - Above: In the finals of the first NCAA Men's tournament, the Oregon Ducks subdue the Ohio State Buckeyes, 46-33.
- 1971 - Indiana University announces that it has hired the young head coach at West Point, Bobby Knight, to be the Hoosiers' new head coach.
- 1978 - Kentucky wins the NCAA Championship game behind Jack "Goose" Givens, who tallies 41 points (on 18-for-27 shooting), eight rebounds and three assists in a 94-88 win over Duke.
- 1994 - Magic Johnson returns to the L.A. Lakers as head coach and leads them to a 110-101 victory over Milwaukee. Johnson coached the Lakers for the last 16 games of the 1993-94 season, posting a 5-11 record.
- 1998 - An NBA single-game record 62,046 fans witness Chicago's 89-74 win over Atlanta at the Georgia Dome.