- 1946 - (Right) The Basketball Association of America play its first game, as the New York Knicks defeat the Toronto Huskies, 68-66, at Maple Leaf Gardens in Toronto. The BAA was the forerunner of the NBA.
- 1949 - The St. Louis Bombers (formerly of the BAA) defeat the Tri-Cities Blackhawks (formerly of the NBL), 72-51, in the first game of the newly-named National Basketball Association. The NBA formed when the ten teams of the Basketball Association of America (BAA) merged with eight teams from the rival National Basketball League (NBL).
- 1961 - Anne Donovan, one of the greatest female players of the 1980s, is born in Ridgewood, New Jersey.
- 1994 - The Chicago Bulls retire Michael Jordan's uniform No. 23 and puts it on display at the United Center. A sculpture of Jordan is unveiled outside the arena with the inscription, "The Best There Ever Was. The Best There Ever Will Be".
- 2000 – Pat Riley wins his 1000 game as the Miami Heat beat the Orlando Magic 105-79 in the most lopsided season opener in the Heat's history. Riley is the 2nd coach to reach that mark:He reached it in only 1,434 games.