- 1861 - Right: James Naismith, inventor of basketball, is born in Ontario, Canada. Read his thirteen Original Rules here.
- 1971 - The Los Angeles Lakers beat Golden State, 105-89, the first of 16 consecutive road game victories, establishing an NBA record.
- 1985 - Georgi Glouchkov, a 6-8 center from the Bulgarian National Team, debuts for the Phoenix Suns, becoming the first player from an Eastern European country ever to play in the NBA.
- 1992 - Shaquille O'Neal (right) makes his NBA debut for the Orlando Magic against Miami, scoring 12 points and grabbing 18 rebounds. Orlando wins, 110-100.
- 1999 - Conseco Fieldhouse hosts its first game as the new home of the Indiana Pacers. Hall of Famer and Indiana basketball legend John Wooden serves as the honorary scorer, NBC broadcaster Bob Costas handles player introductions and country music star Crystal Gayle performs the National Anthem. The best players in Indiana history are recognized as the the Pacers unveil their list of Indiana's Fifty Greatest Players. The Pacers celebrate by defeating the Boston Celtics, 115-108.