|History||Tri Cities Blackhawks (1946-1951)|
Milwaukee Hawks (1951-1955)
St. Louis Hawks (1955-1968)
Atlanta Hawks (1968-present)
|Team colors||Navy Red, Silver|
|General manger||Rick Sund|
|Head coach||Larry Drew|
|D-League affiliate||Utah Flash|
The Tri-Cities Blackhawks (which include Moline and Rock Island, Illinois and Davenport, Iowa) began as a National Basketball League (NBL) team in 1946. They joined the Basketball Association of America (BAA) in 1948. In 1949 the BAA and the NBL merged, creating the National Basketball Association.
Like Chicago's National Hockey League franchise, the Blackhawks were named after the famous Sauk Chief Black Hawk. Chief Black Hawk's tribe had been located in Rock Island and a major part of the 1831 Black Hawk War had been fought in the surrounding areas. Thus the owners named the team the "Blackhawks".
Four years later, the team moved to St. Louis to become the St. Louis Hawks.
The Hawks relocated to Atlanta in 1968, just in time to win the division championship.
The Atlanta Hawks began their history as the Tri-Cities Blackhawks. They won one NBA championship in 1958 as the St. Louis Hawks and the franchise has taken 14 division titles. Read more about the Atlanta Hawks Franchise History.
|Atlanta Hawks roster|
|34||G||Harris, Devin||Larry Drew|
|Wharton Field House||1946-1951||Tri-Cities Blackhawks|
|Milwaukee Arena||1951-1955||Milwaukee Hawks|
|Kiel Auditorium||1955-1968||St. Louis Hawks|
|Alexander Memorial Coliseum (at Georgia Tech)||1968-1972 and 1997-1999|
|Omni Coliseum||1972-1997||Had 4 home games in Charlotte (1977-78)|
|Lakefront Arena (University of New Orleans)||1984-85|
vacant - Executive Vice President & General Manager
Dominique Wilkins - Vice President of Basketball
Mike Woodson - Head Coach
#9 Bob Pettit
#23 Lou Hudson
#40 Jason Collier