An undrafted sportsperson or undrafted free agent is specific type of sportsperson who plays, or attempts to play, in a professional sports league. As a matter of technicality, every eligible person not selected in the league's draft, is considered an undrafted sportsperson. However, many of those players never attempt to sign with a franchise or team. A number of undrafted sportspersons do pursue employment opportunities with their league of choice. As these players are all considered unrestricted free agents, they are sometimes identified simply as an "undrafted free agent" and are free to sign with any team they choose.
List of notable undrafted basketball players
- Bruce Bowen – A forward who went undrafted in 1993 from Cal State Fullerton. Bowen has won three NBA Championships with the San Antonio Spurs and been named to the NBA All-Defensive Team eight times. He also played in 500 consecutive games and has been runner up for the NBA Defensive Player of the Year Award three times.
- Brad Miller – A center who went undrafted in 1998 out of Purdue. Has appeared in 2 NBA All-Star Games, played for Team USA during the 1998 FIBA World Championship and the 2006 FIBA World Championship. Consistently ranked as one of the top passing centers in the NBA.
- Ben Wallace – A center who went undrafted in 1996. He has appeared in 4 NBA All-Star games, been on the NBA All-Defensive Team 6 times, been named Defensive Player of the Year 4 times, and won a championship with the Detroit Pistons in 2004.
- Earl Boykins - A 5'5" guard who went undrafted in 1998 out of Eastern Michigan. On November 11, 2004, Boykins scored 32 points in a 117-109 Nuggets' home win over the Detroit Pistons, making him the shortest player in NBA history to score 30 or more points during a game. He also won the Frances Pomeroy Naismith Award in 1998.
- Udonis Haslem - A power forward for the Miami Heat went undrafted in 2002 out of Florida.He was a key member of the 2005-2006 Miami Heat who won the 2006 NBA Championship
- Andrés Nocioni - a Power Forward/Small Forward of the Sacramento Kings went undrafted in 2004. He has won a gold medal in the 2004 Summer Olympics and a bronze medal in the 2008 Summer olympics both for Argentina